What can be better, than sharing the journey.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Grandmother's Flower Garden Made with English Paper Piecing




Grandmother's Flower Garden is a patten that I have come to really enjoy doing. I can take it with me to sew when I have a few minutes. That is useful when I visit over weekends and have time to fill. Especially if there are munchies at hand and I want to keep my hands busy so they don't reach for snacks.

The secret is to use well cut paper hexagons. They can be any size you like. The ones I use measure one inch on the side. When I first started I became very frustrated because, one I got tired of cutting them, two it was hard to get the angles exact, three if I was off it made it more difficult to match seams. I found a die punch helped, then realized if I had that trouble then alot of others would too. I started selling them on ebay and it took off enough to afford a die cutting machine which I have really enjoyed. I use it to cut all my difficult quilts.


The fabric does not have to be cut exact but you should give yourself a better than 1/4 inch allowance around it. I have ask for friends to cut me 2.5 by 3 inch pieces from their scraps, which works out fine

.

Next the fabric is basted onto the paper using large stitches. You can use any thread color you like. Tie a small knot in the end. To baste fold the fabric over one edge. Starting about the middle of the side go down and up toward the corner. Fold the next side down and go through the fold an come up in the middle of the next side.



Continue basting the edges till you have completed the piece.



You could tie off by loosely basting though the piece or coming out at a corner and back stitch to secure the tread and start stitching the block together.



Hold two pieces right sides together and whip stitch together. I usually try to go several threads deep to keep it secure, but not too deep.



When you have gone to the corner back stitch to secure the seam. Keep adding hexagons. The usual pattern is a yellow center with a ring of six hexagons of matching fabric then a contrasting ring of 12 hexagons. Some patterns call for another ring of 18 contrasting hexagons. That would be the flower. This would be joined by paths of another color.



When you have sew all the way around a piece you can take out the basting to remove the paper.
The papers are reusable several times.






1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I truly love to do EPP !!! Love the tutorial, very easy to follow.
    Do you have any other EPP patterns besides the GFG?
    Thanks,
    Linda J
    VA

    ReplyDelete