What can be better, than sharing the journey.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Happy Easter, Happy Spring



Hello, It is finally warming up here and the flowers are blooming. Just in time for Easter. It should be a beautiful weekend.



I have finished quilting a small lap quilt. It is the first that I did completely with free motion, though I did obsessively stitch in the ditch also. I am pretty happy how it turned out. Looks very vintage with the old 80's colors. Isn't that sad that we look back on 1980's as old fashioned. Maybe mauve will be back in style, seeing as it is still the color of our bathroom tiles.



With the success of this quilt I decided it was time to start quilting a top that I had made for my son. It is the Bento block. I though it would work well with the fabric. It is a school print made for Texas A & M. I did not want to chop the fabric into small pieces and it would loose the school logos.



It is at least a full size and would cover the top of a queen. It is quilted with stippling. Again my first attempt doing something this large with free motion. I learned a few more things. Have enough thread. You can never have too much. Two trips to Joann's and I had to settle for the same weight but slightly different color. Same color different weight was a more noticeable difference.
Have plenty of needles.
Changing them often does make a difference. I wanted a thicker thread on top and the needles ate it up after a while. Nothing is more tiring as have to retread and set the tread tension over and over. Again taking many breaks is important especially when things are not going well. Thank goodness for a little doggie that is always eager for a walk.



Next, I have been piecing another top out of the 80's fabrics. It all started with the pink flower piece. It came from the thrift store and was about a 4 yard piece. It has inspired me to pull out matching fabrics.



I have been working on the quilting for this top. It will have feathers in the large light color triangles. The center square of triangles will be stippling and the green triangles will be feathers again. The sashing squares will be a flower of feathers and the long sashing a scroll or vine. I will have to resist stitching in the ditch though it will probably happen. I think it defines an area.

No comments:

Post a Comment