Yesterday I was able to finished the star wall hanging. I used traditional straight stitching and stitched extra lines to bring out the diamonds. Looking at it on the picture I could have still moved the pieces around. I guess that is why I can do this pattern over and over, it has endless variations. I am getting good at y-seams also. They no longer frighten me.
I am still playing with the stars wall hanging. I think that this is the final placing of the pieces. I have started sewing it together this weekend. One thing that I have learned from this pattern in the past is that trimming the points is important to keep the bulk down at the center of the stars. It has been going together well. My machine is cooperating well after it's cleaning and maintenance. I bought a new straight stitch plate for the machine so maybe it will not eat the fabric as much. Triangle points are bad about that.
Of course I still have my helper here, though she did cooperate and take a nap.
I have finished sewing all the triangles into equal triangles. I am spending time arranging them but am not happy with the look I have now. It looks different in the picture than in person, I know it will get rearranged yet again. I want the stars to flow, doesn't seem to be happening.
I have started work on a commission for a friend. She wants a small wall hanging to go in a spare bedroom. I have always liked the movement of hexagonal stars. It will be in blues, greens and a touch of burgundy. I cut out some fabric yesterday with my accucut cutter and it always makes it go faster, now just to play with the fabric pieces till I find a pattern that works. I don't like what I have up now, it doesn't seem to flow.
When I was on vacation to Texas for reunions, one of my aunts gave me some of her craft and quilting books. It is always good to get new ideas. I especially like the Heirloom Quilts book. It has some quilting templates that I can use for free motion. Thank you Aunt Shirley for sharing.